WordPress is a most popular, easy-to-install website builder in the world. WordPress is an Open Source project, which means there are hundreds of people all over the world working on it. (More than most commercial platforms.) It also means you are free to use it for anything from your recipe site to a Fortune 500 web site without paying anyone a license fee.
Following guide will assist you to install WordPress manually.
Pre-requisites for installing WordPress
- Web browser to perform the installation
- Access to your web server via FTP or shell
- MySQL server where you can create user and database
- An FTP client
- Make sure that your web server meets the basic requirements for running the WordPress.
- Download the latest WordPress package and unzip the same in the directory on your web server where you want to install.
- If you want to make the installation in the root of your domain such as http://mydomain.com/ , unzip the package in the root directory of your web server.
- If you want to make the installation in a subdirectory of your website such as http://mydomain .com/wp/ , create the ‘wp’ directory in the root of your web server and unzip the package in this directory.
- Create a database for your WordPress installation on your web server. Also create a MySQL user giving all the privileges to access and modify the database.
- Now initiate the installation process by accessing the URL in your web browser.
- The access URL will be http://mydomain.com/ , if you uploaded the WordPress files to the root directory of your web server.
- If you uploaded the WordPress files to a subdirectory named ‘wp’, then the access URL will be http://mydomain .com/wp/
- On accessing the URL, WordPress installation will begin.
Select the language you want for your WordPress installation and continue.
You will be notified to get the database and the database user ready. Click on Let’s Start to enter the details.
After entering the database details, click on Submit. WordPress will test the database connection. If correct, main installation process will now begin.
You will be prompted to enter the basic site details such as Site Name, admin username and password, email id, etc. Fill in the details and click Install.
Thats it! WordPress is now installed on your domain.
You can now access your website or login to the website’s dashboard with the username and password entered.
Should you find the above process tedious, there is this simpler way to install WordPress using wpCentral in just one-click. You can find the guide to install WordPress using wpCentral here.
Note: If you install the WordPress from wpCentral panel, wpCentral plugin will be installed alongwith and also your website will be added to your wpCentral panel account. You can now manage(Plugins, Themes, Backups, Restore, etc) your website from here itself.
We hope this article was helpful to you to achieve WordPress installation. If you have any queries or suggestions, do write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The wpCentral Team