The home page of a website plays a vital role in enhancing its impact and attracting visitors. It offers the quick and brief info of your business or blog like niche, services, blog topics, objectives, mission & vision, brief history, etc. WordPress does not display your home page by default. Instead, it shows the page with your latest posts. Fortunately, there is a way to create a well-formatted home page in WordPress. In this guide, we will take you through step by step tutorial on how to create an awesome, customized home page in WordPress?
Creating pages for Home Page and Blog Posts
By default, there isn’t any separate page for the homepage. You can designate any page as a home page.
· Visit WP admin and click Pages> Add New Page
· Title it as “Home Page”. Click Publish
· For displaying your blog posts you would need a separate page
· Create a new page using the steps mentioned above
· Title it Blog Posts and Publish it
· Now visit WP dashboard and click settings -> reading page
· In the homepage -> displays tab, select the option : a static page. Then click save changes
The above process will set up your custom homepage but you still need to design it. Thankfully, there are several ways of creating your customized homepage quickly, easily and beautifully.
For creating an attractive homepage you need extended flexibility. So it is advisable to use page builders for designing a custom homepage
All you need is to install a WordPress page builder plug-in and then activate and use it wisely. The page builder plugins offer you better flexibility and extended capabilities to design personalized homepages to precisely meet your requirements. There are many page builders available but you need the one that offers you a straightforward method and comes with an intuitive interface.
Beaver Builder offers you that and more. More importantly, it offers a wide collection of predesigned homepage templates to choose from. The best part is that you just need a single click to install them
· You don’t have to limit your creative capabilities as all these templates are extensively editable. Apart from changing the default images and content, you can even insert section, modules, and widgets to exercise the best of your creativity
· If you need even more capabilities then you can use the Beaver Themer that allows you to fully customize the WP template using graphical interface and drag and drop tools
· Using Gutenberg is another preferable way to create an awesome home page. Once you install and activate it, you would be able to create great-looking designs with extended customization options.
· There are designated block for different content elements that streamlines the designing process and offers you extra flexibility to structure the page using the best of your imagination and capabilities
· You can use Gutenberg block editor for various designing/layout purposes for your home pages like columns, tables, cover images, galleries, albums, media and more
· For various elements include services, sliders or testimonials you can use Gutenberg block plugins
Astra is easy to use a beautiful theme. It offers you an awesome collection of Gutenberg website templates.
· With the help of Astra Starter Sites plugin, you can easily install the Gutenberg website templates
· After importing a template, you can use the WP editor to modify it as per your wish. Get inspiration from some good websites of the same niche and use your creative skills to create and design an excellent homepage for your site
Here are a few things that your Homepage should ideally have:
· Key Products/Services
· Key Message
· Option for Subscription
· Call To Action
· Page Title Tag (SEO friendly)
· Key FAQ with straight and short answers
· Provisions for live, real-time assistance (like chatting with a live person)
· Search box
· Latest offers and promos
The home page offers a distinct look and a professional appeal to your website. Whether you run a blog or a business, you need a well-designed homepage that can quickly communicate with the visitors and tell them about your niche, services, products, objectives, etc. briefly and compactly. WordPress does not offer you a default homepage but there are easy and quick ways to create your homepage with a professional look using the page building plugins. The readers are advised to stick with only the most user-friendly plugin that is quick and simple to work with and does not involve a complicated technical process.